Saturday, October 07, 2006

First Week Madness



AHHH~~~~ finally i can sit down and relax. Today, will be the last day of the first week of my industrial training in Mandarin Oriental Kuala Lumpur and believe me, you really DO need to be a super human to work in a hotel. This week was and still is a stressful but fun week. I got to experience waking up at 7 in the morning all over again, I got to take the LRT to the hotel everyday i work, I have to stand for 8 hours, and of course, I got to work!!

I got into the same hotel as Andrea and Lisa and some girl named Wan Sze from Stanford College. On the first day, we all had to sign our contracts and went through the details before we started work.

These are the people who hired us!! Mr. William, a nice organized looking man and Mrs. Penny Kok who I've never met. Shhhhh...I'm supposed to know who they are..


This is where I'll be placed over a period of 3 months.

So we're off to start trainig at the Front Office. Our boss there, Ms. Susan Abdullah whos a nice but strict woman runs the front office and the person in charge then was Ms. Yatie and Ms. Cindy Kong and I tell you, those are the most professional and organized bunch of people I've ever met in my life. Respect!

After a briefing, we were taken to various places in the hotel and was placed in different areas just for the day. Lisa and I were both placed in the Mandarin Oriental Club (MOC) Lounge. It is similar to the executive lounges in other hotels and this particular Club has won various awards and I am proud to work there. The MOC serves foods and drinks and louges for guests to relax with the views of the PETRONAS Twin Towers, The KLCC Park, the city line and also the swimming pool view. Our boss there for that day is Mr. Sean who is being promoted to Duty Manager of the Reception. The lounge is a quite place to be and is quite peaceful at that time so we just folded napkins and hunged around until 5. Thats our first day of work.

Schedule for the week.

On Tuesday, I started off with concierge which is like the dept. that handles transportation of all sorts, luggage handling, and info and directions. I would like to call that place the superduperknoweverydamnthinginmalaysia info booth manned by Mr. Subra and Mr. Khairul, the funny dude and the boss himself Mr. Kent Lee who was busy that day so I didnt get to learn a whole lot but I certainly learned that its not easy to be in the concierge. We have guests with funny requests like asking for six packets of hot barley drinks, shoe laces, asking for directions to KLCC. Hello?!?! we're right NEXT to KLCC!! I also worked in all departments and the nicest time I had was when I was in the MOC and the business centre (kiosk) where I met the nicest person to me in MO. Her name is Cody. Weird name but a nice person.

I have chosen to work at the MOC and the concierge to finish off my Front Office training before I move on to FnB next month so till then I'll be in the clun and concierge.

1 Comments:

Blogger dennis "HOoker" ho said...

and who are you again??

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home